Wednesday 21 October 2009

Out of the frying pan, into the fire..



It's been a really funny 3 weeks for me since I came back from Melbourne. Just one mishap after another, whether through my own blur-ness or just pure shit luck.


There's the whole missing the flight thing because I misread the flight times (Wed 0045 means you leave on Tuesday night). That one was still bearable because the extra time meant not having to rush back from the day trip the night before to get to the airport.


The day I came back from the trip, I met my supervisor who told me there's a pretty good chance I would have to do a 2-3 month attachment overseas. Which would be fine except it's gonna be in Hyderabad, India. I've heard very bad things from my colleagues about that place and they were only there for a week!



Then of course, there was the whole girlfriend issue which really took a toll on me. The issue is still not resolved, by the way. Basically, she got a bit, erm, suicidal. And me being too nice a guy, in the end decided to "give it one last try". I know, "but you said it was over the last time". Well, she fucking cut herself, okay? What do you want me to do?


Who am I kidding, I really don't give 2 shits about this relationship anymore. I just don't want her blood on my hands. Face it, I'm never going to be able to be free, am I? Why can't she be like all the other girls? We call it splits, and we move on with our own happy lives. Nooo, it has to be this dramatic.


Anyway, I've been trying to filter this issue out of my head because it depresses me every time I think about it but also because I don't have time for this. There's a review paper due at the start of November and I'm only about 50% in!



That's not the end of my misery, though. My dad brought the Vios out the other day probably because it was conveniently parked outside and he didn't want to go through the hassle of opening the automatic gate to drive his car. Not the point. He caught a cold on the way back and so, wound down the windows on the way home. He didn't, however, wind it back up when he came home.


Now my cd pouch containing all my favourite CD's were inside the Vios so even though it hasn't rained for days, of course it rained that night! My CD's were, thus, soaked in rainwater overnight. I tried drying it for a day but when I tried playing them in the player, some of the songs started skipping. RM800 worth of painstakingly sourced albums, ruined.


(image of my wet CD's) ***


Then, comes the self-merk. My Wira's road tax was going to expire soon so we sorted all that out and my mum came back with the new road tax sticker. She asked me to put it on when I'm free and for some reason I can't remember, I delayed doing it.


So a couple of nights ago, I decided to get to it. Opened the door, sat down and attempted to peel off the road tax sticker. If you've tried it before, you'd know the thing's a bitch to take down but removed it I did in the end; in pieces of course.


I then proceeded to open the glove compartment to stick on the new sticker. When I couldn't find it, I suddenly felt something was amiss. I stared at the "old" road tax sticker I tore down minutes ago.




(image of a torn up road tax sticker saying "18 OKT 2010") ***



My mum helped me replace the sticker without my knowing, and so, yes, I hilariously tore down the new one. There was some consolation in that I won't have to pay the full price for a new one since they have a record of the road tax renewal but still, fucking hell...


Hang on, there's more..


The next morning, I slept in a bit and was hence, running late for the lab session I was supposed to conduct.


Now, there's this sort of a flyover that I've been passing by for my last 4 years of driving to Semenyih and there's never EVER been a speed trap there. Since I was a bit late, I thought, screw it, just this once, I was going to push the limit a bit.


Of course, given the theme of this post, you know what happened, right? Yes, of all the days, that one time I decide to push the speed limit at a flyover with no known history of speedtraps, a policeman sits there with a speed camera in all his full glory.


You're usually given a 10 km/h leeway in Malaysia. The speed limit was 90km/h. My speedometer was hovering at about 100 km/h, give or take. Knowing my luck, I'm probably going to be penalized for going 101 km/h.



So right now, you're thinking, poor CM, it's been rough for you. Ohhh no, it doesn't end there. Not yet, anyway.



So I went into the office after the lab session and turned on my computer, getting ready to put some solid hours into finishing that damn report. I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised when this showed up on my monitor:



(image of a computer screen saying windows won't start because some file's corrupted) ***



For no reason at all, Windows decided to die on me even though I shut it down properly the previous time. Called the IT guy, brought the computer to his room and he told me there could be a chance he has to reformat my drive.


Oh, one problem though, all my work files are inside and yes, I have no backup copies of them..



This is the sort of run of shit luck that drives people insane and plunges them into insanity, in case you didn't know..







Well, not really but yeah, for now, I'll just choose to laugh off the whole matter and get on with my work. Depression is for people with time on their hands and I'm a bit too busy for that.



You win, Universe, you win..








*** I copied the image files off my phone into the memory card and when I plugged the memory card into the computer, the images just disappeared. Into thin air. Like I never copied them in the first place. Wow, okay, this is getting a bit creepy now..




No comments: