Saturday 20 October 2007

How to Ruin Your Jokes..

Jokes are great. Making people laugh always make you feel all warm inside. That is why we always have our pocket jokes handy, ready to spring them on our unsuspecting audience when the opportunity presents itself.


Cue the roar of laughter as you then proceed to perhaps unwisely, milk it for all it's worth, by repeating the joke again and again or elaborate on it. For example:



*First wave of laughter*

"What? It's true. (repeat joke, this time with hand movements)"

*Second wave of weaker laughters spliced with some leftovers from the first wave*

"Hahaha! It was so funny. the (insert punchline of the joke) and all"

*First wave of chuckles*

"Hahaha! (repeat hand movements this time with voiced special effects)"

*First wave of raised eyebrows"

"Yeah, like I was telling her, why didn't (proceed to dissect the joke)?"

*First wave of nodding heads and some smiles*


"And why didn't, (insert interruption by another bored party)"



I am no George Carlin when it comes to jokes and there's nothing I love more than a hearty ha-ha but people tend to ruin something that's funny by exhausting it sometimes. Take your bow and move on, please.


Also, laughter's the best medicine and all that shit, but if I were given a punch in the rib every time I hear someone spring these 99-cent jokes on me, I'd already be lying in a coffin:


"People have 6-packs, he has a 1-pack!"

"Going to Karaoke? Haha, later all the glasses break wan then you know hor"

"Wahh, so horrijiber the accident. Mercedes also become Kancil, you know!"

"Har? She drive ar? Got buy insurance or not?"


All these are normally followed by some self-indulgent laughter, and also a smug grin on said person's face for thinking he/she just pulled out a comic's equivalent of a rabbit from a hat. You will laugh along because it might be a little funny to you, but deep down you know that that joke has been recycled so many times, Al Gore has it in his trophy room.


You know what else is un-funny? Me not knowing how to finish this post under pressure because I have to get off this laptop to watch the United game which starts in 5 minutes and I can't be arsed to continue this later so I am ending this post in an abrupt manner and making this paragraph as long as possible so you would most likely skip this as people's idea of "speed-reading" these days is to ignore lengthy paragraphs that they feel is "difficult" to read thereby wasting all of the author's good work and effort put into it, and I also have to remind myself to stop using "text air-quotes" in my posts as air-quotes are really very lame.



So there.


1 comment:

Nick Khaw said...

I dunno man.

Tiger Chin will always be funny to me.