Saturday 5 May 2007

Russell Peters made me do it!

All of us know who Russell Peters is (right?) and most of us would already have seen his stand up comedy act. I've always found that guy's Chinese impression funny but never truly understood why he made it sound like that simply because I've never actually heard a Chinese speak like that!


That is, until I realized I've never actually heard a Chinese speak.


For the uninitiated, here's the video..






I know, I know, it's a classic. I can never watch this without suffocating from too much laughing. That accent just kills it! No way, who the hell speaks like that?!





So you can almost imagine my situation when I went for a lab one fine day and had a Chinese lab instructor who sounded exactly the same! No, I don't mean his accent bears a passing resemblance to Peters' impression. No, his was a true to the note, totally indistinguishable, audio xerox of Peters' side-splitting parody.




To borrow from Russell Peters: The first time I saw that act, I thought,"Woah! Whoever wrote this is brilliant!" I went to lab today, that's a real language!




What can a poor guy do when he is immediately reminded of all the Russell Peters comedic gems and that Chinese restaurant owner from South Park? He laughs! He was explaining the procedures of the lab and there I was bursting into a maniacal laughter every time he opened his mouth to speak!




You know the feeling when you're trying to hold your laughter in but it kinda "expands" in your chest until you can no longer hold it in? You know the one where your face turns purple and a snort would follow more snorts until you finally break into a fit of sniggers?




Yep, guilty as charged.




What? At least I tried being indirect about it by hiding my grinning smirk behind my lab sheet. That's being very, very merciful, just so you know. Last I checked, proper etiquette for a situation like this is to point a finger straight into the victim's face before letting out a very loud "Ha, Ha!" a la Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons. And an atomic wedgie.




Anyway, I was browsing around Youtube when I stumbled upon this Chinese Restaurant prank. Totally irrelevant but definitely worth checking out. I'm not going to say how the prank works. See it for yourself.








Here's another one about this guy calling a Chinese clock-maker. What's so funny about that? Well, let's just say she has a very unique way of pronouncing "clock". You really have to see this!










Anyway, it became a little too obvious in the end. Being a science man and all, I think his sharp analytical skills would have told him that I was cracking up at his accents. In any case, he should have figured it all out judging from the immaculate timing of my laughters.



Or the fact that I was subtly doing my own City Wok waiter impression to my lab-mates a while later. What? Subtly, guys, subtly...






No comments: