Saturday 23 May 2009

Yawnn..

I realized a while back that I seemed to have lost the ability to sustain an interesting conversation in Mandarin. Beyond the usual questions like "How's life lately?" and "Any interesting plans coming up?", talking to someone genuinely felt like a complete chore and if there's anything that bugs me, it's the feeling that the person I'm talking to thinks I'm a bore. (Hey, it rhymes!)


Lately though, I haven't even been able to strike up engaging conversations in English! (But CM, you never have been interesting lulz!!11!!). "Catching up" phone conversations is usually cut short so that it doesn't descend into awkward silence, MSN messenger threads generally end abruptly and lunch with friend(s) is filled with small talk and boring topics.


This happens especially with acquaintances. I just run out of things to say beyond "How's work/studies lately?". Of course it doesn't help if the other person gives one worded replies as well. Maybe I just can't be arsed to "talk" anymore. I mean, why should I be the one to keep the conversations flowing?


Seriously though, this is worrying me slightly. Am I *gasp* boring?

No comments: